Monday, August 1, 2011

Variations on a conversation

In going through my fabric this summer, I really tried to look critically at what I had. Conversation prints that were difficult to work into quilts were used first. It was interesting to see fabrics that I had bought, oh, ten years ago and never had used-- I was extremely fond of the Judie Rothermel Little Boy Blue fabric, for instance. I had it in both the pink and the green. The watermelon fabric has shown up a lot-- I bought three yards of it and couldn't begin to tell you why. The bumblebees were a nice sized print, but the color was hard to work with. Luckily, it used up the last of the caution tape yellow solid fabric that had seemed like a good idea at some point.

Heading to My Very Own Blanket tomorrow for the last time this summer, and will be able to turn in 11 more quilt tops, making my total this summer 53.

P.S. I Love You

Found this in a baby quilt pattern book. The colors worked out okay (the white has cherries with green stems), but the blocks seem huge. The center square is 3 and a half inches. The upside to this quilt is that the strip piecing made it go very quickly.

Peachy Keen

Peach is a color that is hard for me to work into things, so I had it in a pile of fabric to give away. Luckily, the strips I had involved a lot of orange, brown and green, so this was perfect for the fabric.

I'm so BLUE

Did strips and strips of 6 and a half inch pieces, then put together four quilts. Three of them involved this blue fabric that someone gave me.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Random weekend sewing.

Had loads of this butterfly fabric that someone gave me. To get a variety of colors in the plain blocks, I did enough for FOUR of these! I only had one block left over. Pretty good.





















Another Around the World. The tree fabric on the border was copyright 1994. That piece is gone now!





















Random nine patch blocks that I had in a baggie. This turned out pretty well,
especially since the beige fabric was one I was having trouble using.

Variations on a theme

Someone gave me some dog print fabric that is very nice, but on such a large scale that a 6" block is the smallest I felt that I could cut and still be able to see the pattern. It also is very busy, so I went with very plain fabrics, so here are variations in blue, green, and red!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

And that makes 31

The Easter fabric was fun to use, and playing with the colors in the print was the best part. The sashed squares are so easy to do, but look nice, and the triangles were something I had cut and left in the UFO pile because I couldn't remember what I was doing with them!

I'm trying to make 50 quilt tops for My Very Own Blanket this summer, and it might be within the realm of possibility that I finish!